VirtualBox setup on Windows XP Home Edition
Today I took the time and wrote my own walkthrough of the VirtualBox installation on a Windows system.
This guide deals with the installation of VirtualBox and the setup of a Virtual Machine suitable for FreeBSD 8.1 - hope this is helpful to somebody! enjoy!
This guide has been reproduced on a Windows XP Home SP3 computer and everything works fine.
1. Go to http://www.freebsd.org/where.html
2. Scroll down to 'Download FreeBSD'
3. For most cases you need the i386 ISO image
4. At time of writing this, the most current version is 8.1 Release – download the file
FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso and save it somewhere on your Desktop for Easy
access (it's about 650MB)
5. Go to http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
6. Click x86/amd64 – for most cases this is what you need (Windows users!)
7. The latest version at the time of writing is VirtualBox-3.2.10-66523-Win.exe for the
8. Save this also to your desktop
9. Find the saved file on your Desktop or wherever you saved it to
10. Double click VirtualBox-3.2.10-66523-Win.exe to start the VirtualBox installation
- If Windows asks you if it's safe to execute the file, click 'Yes' this is typical
11. Click Next
12. Click 'I accept the terms in the License Agreement' and 'Next'
13. Take the default options (don't change anything!) and click 'Next'
14. Again take the default options for the Shortcuts and click 'Next'
15. Next there is a Warning for resetting the Network Interfaces on the computer. To be clear
this means that for a couple of minutes you may lose internet connectivity. Again this is
normal and it will only happen this once on the installation. Click 'Yes' to continue
16. Click 'Install' to begin the installation
17. Installation should look like this -
18. Windows is warning you that the software you are trying to install hasn't been tested – this is
normal so click 'Continue' to proceed (yes this message is in Greek since my Windows XP is
Greek-you'll see this message in your OS's default language!!!) You may get lots of
warnings – this is normal, just click continue on all of the warnings
19. You may get a warning like this.. 'VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver Miniport' this is
20. You may get a warning like this.. 'VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter' this is normal
21. Make sure the 'Start Oracle VM VirtualBox 3.2.10 after installation' is ticked – Click 'Finish
Read my next guide for the Virtual Box Machine setup for the FreeBSD image you downloaded!